Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Musician's Day

An artist must organize his life.
Here is the exact timetable of my daily activities:
Get up: 7.18 am; be inspired: 10.23 to 11.47 am. I take lunch at 12.11 pm and leave
the table at 12.14 pm.
Healthy horse-riding, out in my grounds: 1.19 to 2.53 pm. More inspiration: 3.12
to 4.07 pm.
Various activities (fencing, reflection, immobility, visits, contemplation, swimming,
etc....): 4.21 to 6.47pm
Dinner is served at 7.16 and ends at 7.20 pm. Then come symphonic readings, out
loud: 8.09 to 9.59 pm.
I go to bed regularly at 10.37 pm. Once a week (on Tuesdays) I wake up with a start
at 3.19 am.
I eat only white foodstuffs: eggs, sugar, scraped bones; fat from dead animals; veal,
salt, coconuts, chicken cooked in white water; mouldy fruit, rice, turnips; camphorated
sausage, things like spaghetti, cheese (white), cotton salad and certain fish (minus
their skins).
I boil my wine and drink it cold mixed with fuchsia juice. I have a good appetite,
but never talk while eating, for fear of strangling myself.
I breathe carefully (a little at a time). I very rarely dance. When I walk, I hold my
sides and look rigidly behind me.
Serious in appearance, if I laugh it is not on purpose. I always apologize
about it nicely.
My sleep is deep, but I keep one eye open. My bed is round, with a hole cut out to
let my head through. Once every hour a servant takes my temperature and gives me
another.
I have long subscribed to a fashion magazine. I wear a white bonnet, white stockings
and a white waistcoat.
My doctor has always told me to smoke. Part of his advice runs:
--Smoke away, my dear chap: if you don't, someone else will.

Erik Satie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sarah lee!!!! how the hell have you been?? its been much too long ..... ages even...email me so we can catch up on life girl... it jojo from AE.... email me at jojo22@att.blackberry.net